Wednesday 19 June 2013

An Arabian night - & other such silly sessions

Question is, are we all just a little bit mad? Or are we simply parents of small kids, that clearly don't get out that often?! Either way, I don't care. It's such great fun!


We have a great group of friends that we've made through having our children (see there are perks), and as the years have gone on, they've become closer. Especially since our babies all begun school together. Anyway, back in the Autumn last year, one of the couples took it upon themselves to invite the others for dinner - it was to turn into a themed evening that was to snowball into a bi-monthly event. 

Now I'll be the first to admit, that when they suggested Mexican, I oohed and aahed at the prospect of such tasty food. But when they then asked us to adopt the local costume too, I thought that a little bit strange. 





Unsure, Simon (easy going OH) and I managed to couple something together, sombrero led. I'm not actually sure why the moustaches we were wearing aren't in place in this piccie as they featured too, even though that same week the radio announced a moustache making factory had burnt down. Clearly a case of hair today, gone tomorrow then?



After being completely overrun with tequila/margaritas, the next couple jumped in with great enthusiasm, deciding to host an alpine night. Mmm! Fabulous fondue, and on new years eve to boot; brilliant. And so they stepped up to the bar, and in doing so, raised it.



The next couple to take hold of the reins, held a viking night. God knows what the neighbours made of it all.... but once again all eight of us entered into the spirit with a fire in our bellies, aka a cocktail. NB that baby's plastic.



Last weekend it was our turn... and from my ongoing twitterings, (remember popping pomegranates?), I'm sure you were well aware, we hosted an Arabian night. I was delighted that the obligatory tea towel made it over, as did a fez. Great effort. And if I may, great eats too (see next post: FRAMED for two delicious examples). Here's a few of us, post-hooka pipe, pre-belly dance.



And the good news? The next evening has already been announced; Bollywood so I will be able to ensemble a sari out of the many miles of purple and gold fabric I've now got in the cupboard. 

Question is, are we all just a little bit mad? Or are we simply parents of small kids, that clearly don't get out that often?! Either way, I don't care. It's such great fun!


No comments: