Saturday 27 February 2016

Struggling to give up the booze - A poem - Tummy Troubles (2)

Don't ask me how it's going - it's only been one week.
Truth is, it's bloody hard and I'm feeling very weak.
Friday night was hardest but even Monday wasn't great,
And now that it's the weekend, I'm thinking of my mate.

Not the one dressed to the nines and heading to the Ritz,
Who'll later neck Dom Perignon and get right off her titz.
Nor the one that's laden down with Cristal, Cru and Boli,
White wine, red wine, and rose, sitting in her trolley.



Not even the one that's sat at home with an ice cold G&T,
No, I'm on about my new mate (that now sits inside of me).
An unexpected diagnosis - and enough to introduce,
a new complaint beside - for withdrawal's now been induced.

My mate the stomach ulcer, laying dormant most the time,
Is peptic, septic, stuck inside and hanging with my chyme.
My belly bloated, silently searing soon will take its toll.
Apparently heals much quicker, if one abstains from alcohol.

The wretched mare of all of this is the ironic fated twist,
Of a further ugly symptom now sat hanging in the midst.
A nausea so gnawing it's a morning after at its worst,
Wouldn't it just be easier to drink the bloody booze first?

No, it wouldn't, don't be daft, my ulcer needs to heal.
I'll lay off three bottles every week, it's not such a massive deal.
Oh but when the kids are maddening, and life's minus all its charm.
Of course today's habitual lifestyle means we pour a glass of calm.

So there you have it, after only one week, I'm struggling, yes I am.
I'm not liking the seriousness of redressing my evening plan.
But one week in is one week down and so upward I do aim,
My mate the stomach ulcer, please reduce in size and pain.



7 comments:

Mummy Tries said...

Brilliant piece darling, but I really do feel for you. Sending lots of gentle hugs xxx

Anonymous said...

Great writing M I feel your you, just lately I have started on Red wine never used to like the stuff but now it sits happily along side my old friend Mr J Daniels just looking at me after a long day at work, I'm in a old haunt of yours this week, I will have a glass for you, I'll take your pain - take care Mr Dx

Unknown said...

Oh no! Poor you. How horrible in every way - no wine AND a stomach ulcer? Sometimes Mother Nature has a way of forcing us out of these bad habits :( Best of luck Emma. X

Writing Life As It Is said...

Gentle hugs back, thanks R x

Writing Life As It Is said...

Ta love, what old haunt? x

Writing Life As It Is said...

I know... horrible! Habits die hard... Thanks Suzanne x

Anonymous said...

well way back when in a place called Ladbroke Grove there was as I remember a Pub called the Castle with a very likeable barmaid called Kevinna - I'm not far from there so will call in and have a glass for old time sake - look after yourself M sounds like your having a tuff time, thoughts are with you as always - take care x